Nisarga Herbs Organic Farming - Corporate Social Responsibility
Farming, as we know, is a traditional occupation that has been followed since long time but the organic farming concept is getting importance not only in farmer’s society but also among the urban population as we can see a lot of individuals entering into this field. Farmers as well as urban individuals are adopting organic farming techniques and acquiring more benefits. When the product is grown in more natural and organic way, the healthier and safer it becomes for us and for the environment. Organic farming is a technique which avoids or maximize elimination of the use of synthetic matters and highly depends upon crop rotations, crop residues, animal waste manure, organic waste etc. Individuals are becoming highly conscious about their health and the foods they consume. Many people are choosing organically grown products to avoid the consumption of in-organic products that are grown using toxins, chemical preservatives, synthetic fertilizers etc. This increases the necessity of organic farming which is essential at this time.
Corporate Social Responsibility is a thoughtful and practical way to give back to society. When businesses are aware of their social and environmental impact on the world, they can benefit society by giving back and helping to find solutions to everyday issues.
On the same note, Nisarga CSR initiative includes following activities:
- Solar electricity and heat generation: We have produced 18,479 KWh of electricity in 3 months, equivalent to 1 month’s requirement even during monsoons by covering our facility with solar panels. Hot water requirement is fulfilled by a 3000 liter/day capacity solar water heater.
- Awareness campaign for waste disposal and single use plastic: Waste is the result of human activities and everyone needs to have a proper understanding of waste management issues. Nisarga is creating awareness in people about waste disposal and its management through various campaign, banners etc. Nisarga activities are saying no to single use plastic bags.
- Providing trash bins: “Nisarga” has provided number of disposal bins, trash bins at various places like farms, villages to create consciousness about waste disposal.
- Preservation of trees and forest areas: “Nisarga” promotes this activity by planting trees, proper use of forests, banning plastic use, promoting waste management etc.
- Reduce plastic use: Earth’s environment is adversely affecting wildlife, water, air, nature and humans due to tremendous increase in plastic use. We at Nisarga create awareness in public for lesser use of plastic.
- Rainwater harvesting: Rainwater Harvesting is done by accumulation and storage of rain water for reuse rather allowing it to run off.
- Organic farming awareness programs: Hundreds of meetings over 20 years and more that 200,000 farmers trained in organic practice so far.
- Regeneration of endangered plant species through sustainable cultivation: “Nisarga” targeting endangered shrubs like Jyotishmati and Anatmool which are native to this area and exploring its possibility for mass plantation in open field and green houses.
- Plantation of fruit and other trees in surrounding areas: “Nisarga” with the help of many farmers, promotes plantation of trees. 5000 saplings of fruit and large trees were planted in surrounding areas near farms in 2019.